Monday, August 4, 2014

Wax on, Wax off - the secrets to shiny fibreglass

In previous years we've done a very time consuming process of waxing Myrtle with traditional car wax that requires muscles and time to buff off. After hearing about another method on http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/, we tried it out (link to the the post http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f54/using-zep-to-restore-oxidized-fiberglass-56598.htmlWarning: try this on a small, inconspicuous part first - while it worked well for us I cannot guarantee the process.

Essentially we first washed Myrtle really, really, really well and used the Bar Keepers friend powdered cleanser to remove stains, and rinsed it really well. Then we used 6 coats of Zep High Traffic Floor Finish, which goes on much easier than car wax!. Going forward we anticipate just using one coat each year. A week later the results are still terrific! (Note it does not repair crazing, fill in cracks etc but it did bring out the colour of the fibreglass gelcoat and make it nice and shiny).

Before:


After:






7 comments:

Dick Carlson said...

Tried this on a small portion of our 1988 Itasca and it works wonders. Will be doing more, foot by foot, as time allows. Key is it must be REALLY CLEAN. I used a .50 pressure wash place followed by hand scrubbing with cleaner and a terrycloth towel.

Then Bar Keeper's and Zep.

voyagevixen said...

@dick - yes the unit needs to be very clean!

Atomictravco said...

I doubt it shined that well when new! Nice work.

Unknown said...

Hi, I love your RV, where are you based and would you consider renting it out for a couple of days for a photo shoot? ruthiebenfield@gmail.com

BK said...

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1966 Travco. Would you consider talking me before I purchase it?

BK said...

*Talking with me

voyagevixen said...

BK sure. You can message me via my Myrtle Facebook page if that works;
https://m.facebook.com/MyrtleAndMe/